Saturday, April 18, 2015

100TC #22 - Fairy Tale


A new post for my 100 Themes Challenge! This one is based on the theme "Fairy Tale", and it is part IV of Whatever Happened To Ruby. I hope you like this new part as well :) Below you will find the links to the first three parts if you need them. Thanks for reading :)


***

- FAIRY TALE -
Whatever Happened To Ruby - Part IV
Rebecca

- A few weeks before the trial... -

Everything seemed to point out to a day that would be normal and boring as usual. Rebecca was an accountant, but she hated her job. She had always been good at maths when she was in school and so her parents pushed her to study accounting, saying she would easily find a job in that field and she would make an easy life. But she also had an immense talent in writing, and that's what she was doing in her free time : writing, all the time. She had a huge interest for fantasy and fairy tales and she was working on an epic fantasy novel, hoping she could have it published one day. Only problem was that her accounting job was taking much of her time and so she did not really have time to work on it. She wished she could make a life out of being an author, that is what she always dreamed to do. She wanted to study litterature at university but her parents kept telling her she would never find a job if she did and that such studies were an utter waste of time. So there she was, working a job she never wanted and living a life she hated. At least, she was making a good salary like her parents predicted, but that did not make her happy. What did was her writing. The moments she could spend working on her fantasy novel, that was pure bliss for her. Getting fully into the universe she created, forging her character's lives, building stories, that is what made her happy, what made her feel alive.

So after an extremely boring day of work, she was looking forward to get back home so she could work on her novel a bit. When she came back to her house she was surprised to find the front door open, which was strange because she was living alone and only she had the key to it. So on her guard, she decided to go in. There was an handsome young man sitting at her kitchen table, sipping tea. He had long black hair and bright purple eyes, which was rather unusual. He was wearing a suit and looked very elegant. Rebecca was dazzled when she looked at him and felt strange, as if she knew him from a distant past. For some reason she did not even feel afraid that a complete stranger broke in her house, she did not feel unsafe. 

"- Good day Rebecca," said the young man. "You probably don't remember who I am but you will very soon. It is such a relief to see you again..." and as he said that, he jumped to her and gave her a tight embrace, his eyes wet with tears. "I thought I had lost you forever... But now is not the time for this. My friends are in danger Rebecca, and you're the only one who can do something for them! I need your help.
- But... wait a moment..." said Rebecca, confused. "How could I help, I have no idea what you are talking about nor who you are... Tell me what is going on???
- I promise I will, in time. Right now you will have to trust me, even though you don't know me. The police will be here to arrest you in a matter of seconds. You will be charged with murder.
- WHAT?" shouted Rebecca, even more confused. "I have not killed anyone, what are you talking about?
- Things might start to get strange for you but you will have to trust me. I will explain everything in time. I will explain everything, and then I will defend you in court. And we will get through this together I promise. This is the only way to save everyone, yourself included.
- Wait but..."

She did not have time to say one more word that the house was surrounded with police cars. Police officers came in, put the shackles on her, told her her rights and brought her in their car. The young man went back in his car and followed them to the detention center, where he went to meet Rebecca again.

"- I am sorry you have to go through all this," said the handsome young lawyer to her. "I know you have a passion for writing. You also have so much inspiration... Have you ever wonder where it comes from? What if what you write about was not a story that was coming out of your imagination... what if they were memories? What if I told you there is a place that exists in this world that works under different laws... A place that wants to exist so bad it would bend the universe to its own will? Would you believe me? What if I told you you are the reason this place keeps existing, that your writing not only creates stories, but shapes a world, would you think I'm crazy? I know you wouldn't, I can see it in your eyes that you believe me... You know who I am do you not?
- I... I don't understand anything that is going on...
- Don't I remind you of someone you see in your imagination? A handsome young prince, powerful in dark magic, who would do anything for his friends?
- I have in mind a character like that yes... But what does it have to do with you? Or with this? I have been arrested for murder and here you are telling me about fairy tales! 
- The murder was the only way Rebecca. It is the key to get us both out of here and then go save Emerald, Garnet and Topaz.
- Wait... What are you... Don't tell me your name is Obsidian...
- That is my name indeed.
- You freak?! You've snuck in my house and read my manuscripts? And now you're trying to frame me for some murder is that it?
- Rebecca... I know you know deep inside that I'm telling the truth. You know I really am Obsidian. I know you can feel it. This life you live, you know it isn't really yours don't you? Accountant, that is not you. This boring life isn't what you are Rebecca. I know you can feel it, you don't belong here. Now you have to listen to what I will tell you and it will all make sense. Sit back and enjoy, I have a fairy tale to tell..."

TO BE CONTINUED...


***

(c) Copyright 2015 Hope Alexander aka David Giroux for the text
Picture : stock photo, artist unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think