Wednesday, April 15, 2015

100TC #20 - Waiting


And now for number 20 of the 100 Themes Writing Challenge, here is part III of my short story Whatever Happened To Ruby. If you want to read the first two chapters of this story, here are the links :


I do hope you enjoy part III and of course let me know what you think :) Thank you for reading 

***

- WAITING -
Whatever Happened To Ruby - Part III
Another Side

Obsidian was shouting at his friends in the meadow, but no one seemed to hear him. He approached Emerald and tried to talk to him, but the young man's eyes were empty and he did not seem to hear anything Obsidian was saying. He had a gigantic smile on his face and was carressing the flowers, utterly hypnotised. Obsidian went back to the woman with the flowery dress.

"- I'll ask only one last time, witch," said Obsidian to the woman. "Let them go, or die!
But my child," replied she, "I told you I bear no ill will towards them. They have tasted the fruit of paradise and know what pure bliss is, and so should you. Stay with us my child, you need not worry about the outside world; do you not see? This is what anyone desires. This is heaven, this is pure and eternal happiness.
- I don't care about what you say! This is not heaven this is a prison! You hypnotised them and you are keeping them against their will. Now you will let them go.
- I am sorry my child but I will not. Now I will bid you fare well and demand you leave your friends to the delights of paradise, and never come back.
- Fine... I said I wouldn't ask you again. I have no choice..." 

And as he said that, the prince unsheathed his sword. It was glowing of a dark radiance, enchanted by Obsidian's dark magic. He approached the woman and pointed the sword at her throat. He could notice a look of pure fear on her face.

"- My child... Please... Do not do this...
- I won't, if you let them go!
- The truth is..." said the woman, her voice trembling with fear, "I cannot. Even if I wanted to...
- What do you mean witch? Speak the truth!" Asked Obsidian in an angry voice.
" - I have no control over this... don't you see? It's a curse. I have been victim of an enchantment. I am trapped here, doomed to kidnap the passerbies and attract them to this garden of death. I never wanted this... 'tis the island... It did this to me. Your companions are entranced to me but I have no way to free them I am sorry...
- I see... I wonder though, if you died, that would probably break the enchantment wouldn't it?" Said the prince to the petrified woman. As he said that, the look of terror on her face broadened. 
"- Please", she said, her voice shaking even more. "Have mercy, I cannot do anything... Please do not kill me. There must be a way to break the enchantment. I will try to keep them alive as long as I can but I beg you to have mercy on..."

She did not have time to finish her begging that her head went rolling on the flowery prairie. Obsidian did not care for her claim for mercy. He did what had to be done to free his friends. He pulled back his bloody sword and used the dress on the lifeless woman's body to clean it and then put it back in its sheath. Killing the woman had the effect he expected, his friends and the guards were now free from the enchantment. Emerald, Topaz and Garnet went back to him, confused looks on their faces.

"- What happened here?" asked Emerald, bewildered.
"- That witch," replied Obsidian, "she cast a vile spell on you. She had you all hypnotised so you would all stay here forever until you died and turned into flowers for her to use against even more innocent people. She threatened to kill you all and she wouldn't let you go, so I had to slay her. It was not an easy fight, she almost bested me with her evil magic, but I managed to defeat her and free you all...
- Thank you your majesty," said Garnet to the prince, "we owe you our lives.
- Can I ask though," said Topaz in a tone of suspicion, "why is it that you were immune from the enchantment while we were all hypnotised?
- That is because, my young friend, I was trained in the art of dark magic by my mother the Dark Queen. I am trained to resist such enchantments. And I bless the fact I had this training because if not we would all be dead as of now. This is why I said we need to be careful. I might not be able to save you all as I did now! You have to be constantly on your guards on this damned island. The most innocent of things like a flower might be the most threatening. Never, ever, let your guards down, do you understand? Now, let us keep moving."

As the prince spoke those words, the party continued on their path to the heart of the island. They kept following the only trail in the forest. They walked for about an hour without seeing anything of interest, until they reached a small isolated cabin. "Let's go have a look," said Obsidian. The party headed to it and the prince knocked on the door. Immediatly, an old woman opened.

"- How can I be of help?" She asked, looking at Obsidian.
"- Sorry to bother you kind lady." replied the prince. "I am prince Obsidian of house Alexander, heir to the Diamond Kingdom. We are on a mission to your island to evaluate the situation here. Could we come in so we can discuss? I would have several questions to ask you.
- Yes, yes of course. Come in."

The prince went in accompanied by Emerald. Prior to going to the cabin they asked Topaz and Garnet to stay out with the guards, for no one could be trusted on this island. Topaz objected of course but Garnet managed to reason with him. Emerald and Obsidian followed the lady to a cozy looking dining room. They all sat at the wooden table. The house and the old woman were all looking extroardinarily normal, which was unusual considering they were on Sal-Tea island.
"- You are very brave to come here young ones." said the old woman to the two friends. "You should know this island isn't exactly... welcoming, I should say.
- Yes we know indeed," replied Emerald. "We have been here once before, and we lost a dear friend to the evil that resides within this island. But the place has changed so much since last time.
- Yes it has indeed," replied the woman. "In fact, it is forever changing. That is how this place is.
- May I ask," said Obsidian, "why and how exactly do you reside here? This place doesn't seem to be very suitable for living."
- Oh it's not so bad. You know, I was born here. Once, long ago, this island used to be normal and peaceful. That was before the curse... Before it became... Alive. But you know, for those of us who were born here, there is no danger. The island recognises us as its rightful inhabitants so it leaves us be. Though, it does the exact opposite to strangers. That is why I wouldn't recommend you stay here. Actually, I would advise you to leave before it is too late. You are in grave danger for staying here. It is a miracle you survived the Paradise Meadow and Flora's enchantment. You must consider yourselves lucky that you didn't cross paths with that witch. I wouldn't push my luck further if I were you... Leave while you still can.
- Well... about that witch, we did meet her. And I killed her...
- You did what? Oh dear, the island will never forgive you. The island sees all and never forgets. Flora was one of its favourite child, and not the most dangerous. Now I will ask you to leave my house please, you are putting me in danger.
- I am sorry kind lady," said Emerald. "But before we go, can you tell us. If we were to stay, are we on the right track to reach the heart of the island?
- Yes. There is only one trail now. If you went out of the trail you would reach villages of the other island inhabitants like me. The island has shielded most of them from the outside, but I wouldn't recommend you go visit them. The majority aren't exactly as kind as I am with strangers. So just go back to the trail and you will reach the heart of the island... well if you manage to make it there alive which is not likely. Up next is the village of the Salt People... Be careful. This is probably the most dangerous spot of the island. Now I cannot tell you more or the island will see me as a traitor. I will say it one more time, go back home will you still can, or you will die here..."

Emerald and Obsidian thanked the woman for her help and left. They reunited with the party and got ready to go on their way through the woods. Before they had time to leave, they witnessed giant vines starting to grow around the old lady's house, completely surrounding it and then crushing it in an instant, swallowing it beneath the ground. They could hear a scream as they watched the house vanish. The old lady was right, the island did not forgive her for helping strangers, and she paid the price...

***

"- Your honour," said Rebecca." Can I ask for another recess? I need to have a look at the facts again... and ask her some questions before I can give the rest of my testimony.
- Granted. The court will be adjourned for a period of three hours. We will use this time to review your statements while we wait to get the rest.
- Thank you your honour. My goal is not to make you all wait but I have been accused of giving flawed testimony so I want to make sure the final chapter of this story is sound. I promise you all it will be worth the wait, as this story will finally unfold and link with the case at hand and I should hope, clear my name once and for all.
- Well it better," said the prosecutor, "because right now it's a bunch of crap. We'll also take this time to reread your statements and find the proper way to bring this ridiculous trial to an end as fast as can be."

TO BE CONTINUED...  

***

(c) Copyright 2015 David Giroux aka Hope Alexander for the text and picture

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think